Duration: 8 minutes
East Carolina University Symphony Orchestra
Three Musings – a triptych for chamber orchestra” was written in 2010, and is a set of three miniatures entitled “Lullaby”, “Scherzo”, and “Lament”. Originally conceived as a set of four miniatures, the middle movement was taken out in favor of a slow-fast-slow structure for the piece. I wanted to produce a set of three unique studies for orchestra, each featuring different textures and styles. The first movement entitled Lullaby, is a miniature featuring glissandi in the strings. Inspired in part by Debussy’s “Nocturnes”, a simple diatonic melody line is passed between the woodwinds and coloured by various instruments in the orchestra. The second movement “Scherzo” is a jubilant and fun dash for orchestra, the highlight of which is a bombastic duet for double horns. The “Lament” passes the spotlight to the principal players of the string section as each soloist plays the theme in imitation, creating an overlapping effect.
You can also check out an interview I did on Classic 107FM in Winnipeg in January 2014 about Three Musings:
– Feb 5-6, 2016, Oklahoma University Symphony @ Sharp Concert Hall, Norman, USA
– Apr 10, 2015, Etobicoke Philharmonic Orcherstra @ Martingrove Collegiate, Toronto
– Mar 28, 2015, East Carolina University Symphony Orchestra @ Greenville, USA.
– Feb 6, 2015, Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony @ Conrad Centre, Kitchener, Canada.
– Jan 28, 2014, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra @ Centennial Hall, Winnipeg, MB.
– Feb 26, 2013, Toronto Symphony Orchestra @ Roy Thomson Hall, Toronto, ON.
– Apr 17, 2011, Kitchener Waterloo Chamber Orchestra @ Wilfred Laurier, Waterloo
– Mar 21, 2011, Vancouver Symphony Orchestra @ Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver, BC.
Awards and Recognition:
Finalist, 4×4 Prizes for Composers and Conductors, University of Oklahoma
Finalist, SCI/ASCAP Student Composition Contest 2015
Winner, 2014 Etobicoke Philharmonic Young Composers Competition
Winner, 2014 NewMusic @ ECU International Orchestral Composition Competition
Winner, 2014 University of Toronto Friendship Orchestra Composition Competition
Winner, 2014 Canadian Music Center Prairies’ Emerging Composers Competition
Winner, 2013 Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra Commissioning Competition
Official Selection: Toronto Symphony Orchestra Reading Session 2013
Winner, 2011 Kitchener-Waterloo Chamber Orchestra Composers Competition
Official Selection: Vancouver Symphony Orchestra Jean Coulthard Reading 2011
February 2014 – reviewed in La Liberte – Pierre Meunier, columnist. More info
“L’OSW (Winnipeg Symphony) était de retour à la salle du Centenaire les mardi et mercredi. On a pu entendre de belles pièces de style classique dont les créations de Three Muslings (2013) de Roydon Tse, œuvre gagnante du Prix des jeunes compositeurs du Centre de musique canadienne (Prairies)”
March 2011 – reviewed on the Vancouver Sun – David Gordon Duke, columnist.
‘…and as far as I’m concerned…he [Roydon Tse] needs regular commissions and performances! His ‘Three Musings’ would grace any regular concert.’