Duration: 6 minutes
Brno Philharmonic, Mikel Toms conducting.
Remembrances was commissioned as part of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra’s Young Composers Project and is my earliest piece to date. This project pairs a highschool student with the current ESO composer in residence to create a new 5 minute work for the orchestra. It was during the time of writing that I was adjusting to life in Canada, having recently emigrated from Hong Kong to Edmonton. Remembrances is a window into the past and my memories associated with my stay in the UK and Hong Kong. The piece begins with a melancholic melody, and passes it between various solo instruments. A large and heroic tutti section transitions into a lighter area, featuring a solo flute. The voyage continues and ends in a loud and triumphant manner, highlighting the power of the brass and string families.
– June 9th, 2014, Brno Philharmonic Orchestra @ Besedni Dum (Ablaze Recording session), Brno, Czech Republic. Mikel Toms conducting.
– Feb 3rd, 2013, Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra @ Toronto Centre for the Arts, Toronto, Canada. Shalom Bard conducting.
– May 20th, 2009, Edmonton Symphony Orchestra @ Winspear Centre for the Arts, Edmonton, Canada. Bill Eddins conducting.
– May 19th, 2009, Edmonton Symphony Orchestra @ Winspear Centre for the Arts, Edmonton, Canada. Bill Eddins conducting.
– Sept 1st, 2008, Edmonton Symphony Orchestra @ Hawrelak Park, Edmonton, Canada. Bob Bernhardt conducting.
– Selected for the Ablaze Orchestral Masters CD vol.2 with the Brno Philharmonic
– Winner of the Toronto Symphony Youth Orchestra Canadian Call for Scores 2012